Friday, October 27, 2023

Flashback Friday ~ October 23, 1918

 Nashville News, Howard County Arkansas


Please obey and save yourself from being embarrassed!


For some reason I cut off the other three orders 

#10 No eating place shall burn food or allow food to be burned- save all scraps for animal consumption or to be reduced for fats.

#11 Part is cut off but I think it is saying don't display food that could deteriorate and not get to be used for human consumption. 

#12 No creme, or double creme de luxe and no cream with over 20% butter to be used. 

Comparing the quarantine we just went through to that of 1918, I'm not really sure the government or we the people handled things better this go round. Just comparing the Spanish Flu Epidemic to the Covid Epidemic, not the war time rules.  (I know that war on top of the epidemic made it especially important to follow the government's guidelines at that time.) 

 What do you think? 


Here's a link to info on victory bread, if you're wondering (like I was) what it is. 






6 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

MadSnapper said...

I am thinking that back then there were not a whole lot of people that read this because most people did not get newspapers and there was no other way to find out except Word of Mouth. Also there were many people who could not read. The world has been crazy since the beginning of the earth and will be when it finally blows up

roentare said...

These are frightening to read

Red Rose Alley said...

I have never heard of victory bread before. But I did know that the women back then spent a lot of time making bread. It's a staple food to this day. I think I could eat bread and butter for supper alone. ; )

~Sheri

Granny Marigold said...

Those newspaper clippings make interesting reading.
Granny Marigold

Linda said...

Wow. My mother told me tales of food rationing during World War II. Everyone who had a yard grew a vegetable garden.

I don’t think people like rules, and an awful lot of adults still have a rebellious child inside them.