Reblogged

Today I am re-blogging one of my favorite early posts- this one from 2011.  I have lost most of my earlier posts, but I am certain I have been blogging at least since 2009, starting with genealogy and then discovering that there were so many others like me who love to capture the beauty I see everyday...from flowers to clouds...from cows to dragonflies.  Blogging is one of my favorite hobbies, (and includes nature, photography, and poetry)  and I am lucky to have found a most wonderful group of kindred spirits who also love to share their world with me. 


I fell the other day and broke my leg in two places.  I can hobble here and there, but I can't get out and take photos, yet.   Hopefully soon I can.  It's not horribly painful, I just feel so stupid for falling. :(   This seems to be my year for Murphy's Law.  
One of my blogging buddies wrote and reminded me I don't have to post a photo to blog- thank you for that reminder.  Sometimes I do tend to poor mouth myself...I need to really work on my attitude.  

Enough on that- here is the magpie from 2011: 

Lunch, George Tooker, 1964, 
Columbus Museum of Art

In another life,
she wouldn't dare
eat an ordinary
peanut butter sandwich
in public,
and certainly
not while sitting 
shoulder to shoulder
with  strangers.

She  prefered
the corner booth
at a high brow cafe
with her snooty friends;
endive salad
with blue cheese and walnuts,
and
a tall glass of wine,
but that was then...
in another life.

The hunger pains
are especially raw
today
and the coffee is so hot
she can feel it hit
her stomach with a warm
splash, sending heat waves
all the way down to her toes,
numb from standing on the line
for five hours straight,
without a break.


So she doesn't waste a second
worrying about used- to- bes
and memories-
they all fell in the slop bucket
(as her father used to say);
along with with every last one of her 
"I wants"
and "I needs" 
and her over-inflated dignity;
when Joe lost his job.


Her vanity is also gone-
it left with the last hundred dollar
hair do- slow to leave
as it grew out, 
but gone, nonetheless. 

And she grins just a tiny grin
as she remembers the bright red
band in her hair;  the one
her youngest daughter used to wear
to tame her wild curls.

And she thinks how easy
and absolutely free
it was  to make herself
feel  pretty today.

The break clock is ticking
so she doesn't waste time
looking  around for conversation

No one is here for socializing
they all know the drill-
pray first,
eat fast-
minds elsewhere.



(from 2011)
More takes on the prompt over at Magpie Tales

38 comments:

  1. WOW, since 2009...I'm a newbie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed this one the first time around. Good idea to reblog and not worry about getting new material. Rest and repair! So sorry about your accident :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh No!!!! That is so terrible Terri! I love your poem. I hope you can rest. I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry about your leg and I hope it heals fast and well. Convalescing is such a bore. The poem is lovely and tells a strong story, thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rest will be the word most used for some weeks. Not good to have two breaks, hope the cast isn't too heavy, too high, or too itchy. Maybe this is the time for yourself. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, Magpie. My long lost sister. I didn't realize you joined in on that back
    when it was in it's glory!
    So sorry about your leg...what a nuisance for you. Ugh! I hope it heals
    quickly for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about your broken leg. I hope your recovery is quick and completer. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a wonderful read. I can feel and identify with all that your express. I have had my over inflated dignity toss in the slop pail and I will never forget that. Thanks and don't ever stop writing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. loved that. so sorry about the leg, though. heal well and strong!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to hear about the broken leg!! Rest, recuperate, and spend time doing the things you might not slow down for otherwise....

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE that poem.
    I am so very sorry to hear about your leg.
    Look after yourself, and heal quickly.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Take care of yourself and please be well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I hope you heal very quickly. Being immobile is not fun at all, especially in the summertime. Love the reading today.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry you fell and hurt yourself. Take care and give yourself time to heal. We'll be here when you get back! And I loved this post! Sweet hugs my friend, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  15. Take care of yourself.A broken leg doesn't sound like much fun.Hope it heals quickly,so you can get out and about soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Take care and get well soon so you can write for us again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this. I enjoy seeing the different facets of your talents. Thanks for sharing them all.

    Oh, Terri. I am so sorry about your fall and double-injury. Please stay off of your leg and heal quickly and totally! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it! Hope you heal up quickly and are back on the go in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hope all heals well. Many places are handicap accessible so get out there in a chair.I have a spare go cart you can use on the farm.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sorry to hear about your leg - how awful! I hope it heals quickly and (fairly) painlessly.

    ReplyDelete
  21. magpie, i don't know that...perhaps i have not been around long enough but i did enjoy it. bummer about the leg, broken bones are no joke. rest, take care of yourself, be kind to yourself, it's not going to be easy!!! i hope you like to read or perhaps knit...something you can do while sitting!!!! xo

    p.s.....and for the itching, don't use straws, you usually loose them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful poem, Terri! I really enjoyed this. I'm so sorry to hear that you broke your leg. I hope it heals quickly for you. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Loved this powerful, descriptive post. I could feel her pain. And I can feel yours--almost. Bummer to have broken your leg--in two places yet.
    Do take it easy, heal quickly and allow your self to be pampered.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So sorry to read about your broken leg ... my thoughts and good wishes for a speedy recovery.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, my...I love this...and so many people today are in the same boat...jobs lost..living one day at a time...I am so thankful for our two children and their families ...they seem secure in their jobs and income but we all know it can change in the blink of an eye...Mr. Sweet and I live on Social Security..money we worked for all our lives and put into our SS account...very thankful for it but not sure how long it will last.

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh gosh terri, i am so sorry about your leg!! get better quick! i enjoyed the reblog, it was new to me!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very touching poem, Terri. I'm so sorry you broke your leg and are hurting. It's not a great way to spend the summer, I'm sure. I wish you speedy healing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ouch on the leg! I hope it heals up quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Terri, I am so sorry about your leg! I hope the healing is quick and smooth. Sending healing vibes your way.

    This poem is beautiful! I didn't know you wrote poetry. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. P.S. This might be a time for you to explore photographing inside, seeing what you can find, what catches your eye. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh Terri take care of yourself! I hope the healing goes well. Sending good thoughts your way -- and blog only when you feel like it; people will wait for you... it's time to take care of yourself.

    I am one who came late to your blog and didn't know you wrote poetry -- this one is just beautiful.(And I very much like the peanut butter sandwich metaphor. I too am happy not having to live up to certain expectations. And the more I think about it, the more I think I'll take it out of the metaphorical and actually make one for supper ;>))

    ReplyDelete
  32. Goodness, I hope your leg heals quickly. I fell the other day too, but luckily I just ended up with a skinned elbow. Love the poem. Awesome message about what we should really be grateful for.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh you are poorly, get well soon, and get some outside photos.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am wishing you a speedy recovery for your leg, my friend! Sending thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm sorry you fell. wishing you a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  36. So sorry for your fall. Heal quickly.

    This Magpie piece is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What? You fell and broke your leg in two places? Oh nuts to that! And now you are still getting out and about so your mom can get places...bet you have some grins, possibly a chuckle, over this.

    If you wrote this, it is compelling writing. I was there. Right there.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh Terri, I am so sorry about your leg. I am catching up on about a month's worth of posts I missed and feel so bad for you, especially in this weather. Sending hugs and prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete


Thanks so much for stopping by! I appreciate all of my visitors- please let me know you were here!