Those Places Thursday ~ 222 West Moline

This house will always hold precious memories for me.  Being in the military does not allow one to have a permanent "home sweet home".  Every summer we would come home to Arkansas, and visit both sets of grandparents.  This was my mom's home, and these two are her parents- my grandparents: Austin and Esther Nichols Albey.  The porch was where my papa used to sit and swing, and whenever the cousins came over we all gathered here..or if it was too hot, the back yard, under the sweet gum tree.  Behind that double window was the bed my sister and I slept in, and see that bush behind the car?  I remember a time when I had to go get a switch off of that bush for a swatting because I had misbehaved.  (I know it's a shock..me, misbehave?  Egads!) 

The monkey on my granny's back is my sister, and that's me on her lap.  This particular summer (1962) was when we had to stay here while my dad went on to the air force base at the  Panama Canal Zone.  My brother was about to be born, so we stayed in the states until he arrived.

Here is an earlier photo (probably in the 40's) of my grandfather laying on the porch..he was a charming character.
 He sang in a quartet and used to play and sing at dances.  He worked in a shoe factory all of his life. My grandmother worked also.  She was a nurse in a state hospital.

I found the house on google and it still looks about the same.  The number 222 is still on the eave but the swing is gone.  The houses on this street are different than I remember, but the elementary school I attended one semester is still there, and so is the ditch (we called it the creek or crik) that we played in building rock dams and coaxing crawdads out of the mucky bottom).

They say you can't go back, but I can  close my eyes and walk through this house..room by room..I can see the furniture, the walls, the pictures, the black phone on top of the bookshelf, (Edgewood 7 was the prefix of the number..can't believe I remember that!)  So many memories.



sharing with...
 ABC Wednesday ~ C is for childhood & 
Thematic Photographic -  323: Childhood Memories
(thanks to Karen at 21 Wits for the new to me meme link & Carmi for hosting) 


32 comments:

  1. It's very special that you have such fond memories of your grandparents' home. Loved the old photos. More precious as the years go by I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what sweet memories of a very special place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'm impressed. There's no way I could remember a phone number like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have very fond memories of my grandparents home and porch. They've been gone for many years and my sister and I still have the house and property. Must say time and deadbeat renters have not been good to it. Nobody will ever give the loving care my grandparents gave the place and it's 1000 miles from us, so we just can't care for it like it needs. Makes me feel guilty and sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up the same way. Each summer was spent in KY visiting both sets of grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They say you can't go home again, but I think the reverse is true; you can't ever leave it. Great post and wonderful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Easy to remember, our party line phone number from the 1940's ... Yegads,, yes it was 325D, One long and 2 shorts,. you had to pick up the phone and make sure no-one else was talking. and I can see every room so vividly, every paddock, the cowshed, all subdivided into million dollar lifestyles now, long after my Dad sold it, that was about 1961. Today grandparents, more than when we were young, are often the one very stable part of a childhood. Terri, you are so fortunate to have those photos. When I was born the only grandparent was my Mum's Mum, a tiny lady, white fine hair in a tiny top-knot, and I still have the green bowl where she put the stray hairs after brushing every night and morning.I can see a post coming up with some memories and past photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great memories, Terri! I can still see what the house looked like that I grew up in

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love seeing these photos. The house looks very much like my Grandmother's house, next door...the same style. My neighborhood was wiped away by a tornado a few years ago. They have rebuilt so I think I'll google it to see what it looks like now. Thanks for mentioning that. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Terri I absolutely love this post. It touched my heart and stirred memories of my own, with my grandparents. Oh I love this. Great writing great story, and photos. Hug B.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love looking through old photos. The memories they evoke are wonderful. Thanks for sharing some of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What wonderful powerful memories, thanks for sharing them! I love that porch and the swing:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely to have these 2 photos and all your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post rates as one of my most favorite posts of yours! Loved every single bit of it and it brought back sweet memories of my grandparents too. You are right--we can go back and revisit those days:) Thank you!
    Blessings, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  15. Terri it is fun to go back! I have two houses in particular that I can think about and do the same thing you mention.. " I can close my eyes and walk through this house..room by room". Love the first shot. Love a porch swing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this post! And what great memories you have of your childhood! Those photos are priceless!


    ReplyDelete
  17. we were Elgin 4 on our phone back then.. i loved looking at your memories and hearing about them. your grandfather looks like my dad did when i was 6 and 7 years old. Daddy was born in 1913 me in 44 and that looks is what he had. my parents house was torn down to build a road, my grandmothers burned and my other grandmothers rotted and fell... but like you i can visit when i want to and see Ganny's 45 record player with stacks of 45's by Eddie Arnold and the old heating fan in the bathroom and smell the nasty artesion water.. i can swing in the swing with my books.. thanks for the trip down memory lane, yours and mine

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ahhh those are lovely memories for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such sweet memories and pictures to share!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, Terri! This is a wonderful post...loved hearing your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Isn't is wonderful that God gave us memories? Thank you for sharing this post. I have so many memories of my Grandparents too. I sure do miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. heerlijk met die oude foto,s

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh I'm reliving those memories along with you. Your grandpa was SO handsome, could have been a movie star!! My Mom tells me we had a party line but I don't remember the number.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a wonderful post of some amazing memories. Reminds me a lot of houses owned by some of my relatives. Plus, with Dad in the Navy, we returned to Alabama as often as possible to see my Mom's mother and step-Dad. My other grandmother died before I was born and we weren't that close to that grand-dad, my Dad's father. Loved this! You are younger than I am, but we have some things in common! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I enjoyed the post and the pictures so much. Our memories can sure take us back. I love thinking about the house we grew up in in the 50's. You and your sister are just a few years older than my two daughters. We were at Lackland Air Force Base in Texas in 1962.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It us is so neat that you can remember the details. We moved a bunch and it was nice to have a grandparent for a solid base. Loved the picture of your grandfather. Such a rascally yet romantic pose.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is the stuff life is made of. Great post. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a lovely post, such fond memories a really good read,
    than you for sharing this delightful tale,
    Best wishes,
    Di.
    ABCW team.

    ReplyDelete
  29. There's something about those old photographs that bring back specific memories

    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  30. I should go look at my grandparents house...lovely post.. Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  31. wow, he has some style ... i miss that. we folks this day and age we don't scream STYLE. those were the days. great shots. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  32. These are such neat old photos and wonderful memories too!

    ReplyDelete


Thanks so much for stopping by! I appreciate all of my visitors- please let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...