Good Intentions, con't.

Continued from yesterday's post concerning the infested ledgers:


After all the suspense- I couldn't see anything that looked like a bug.  No silverfish.. no paper mites. I wonder if the lack of oxygen killed them? 

Anyway, here are a few of the wonderful entries I found in these fantastic old Sunday School ledgers. 

 I found a resolution from the newspaper and a call for donations to help the children tucked inside the books.  The quarantine for Spanish Flu was interesting to me because I did an article a few years back for our society's journal about the outbreak and all the people who died in the country from it.  It was such a horrible sickness, and the newspaper posted the names of those who passed in the paper, week after week, until it stopped, My husband's ancestors lost three children..two in one family, and then the mother of the third.   
I took my photos, sealed the books back up and now I hope someone wants them back.  Just to be safe, the books are now outside in the shed.  

 ABC Wednesday  ~ L is for ledgers

One item crossed off the list. :) 

22 comments:

  1. I'll wait for the apocalypse to unfold...just saying

    They warned you

    (wags finger)

    ReplyDelete
  2. how neat!! the infested note was a little scary!! yay, 1 thing crossed off!! go you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love old books like that with little snitches of what life was like then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad you survived the opening of the infested books... i like the Horse and Ox from the paper. very sad about the flu... any old cemetery tells that same story over and over with all the tiny graves .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the infested books are fascinating worth the risk:) your still hear so I guess it was minimal:)
    Love the horse and the ox story:) Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  6. the hand-writing is so neat - and perfect. *sigh* we're so far away from that time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, but we don't know what was released into the air to make an appearance some day down the road as a virus!? Just kidding. Loved the old book and stories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The papers surely don't look infested. I enjoyed the note about the horse and the ox not making a good team.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mother was named after an older sister who dies from the Spanish flu.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Still wondering why they were deemed infested? Weird but glad you had such a good time perusing. Love first hand history.
    My mother lost her only sister to that flu. It was a monster.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a delightful and intriquing post for L ~ thanks!

    artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Surely some neat-knick wanted to keep the critters from infesting the house :) OR, it was their way of keeping nosey folks from reading the entries ***smile**.

    I love this post, and your last post. It is amazing how quickly time flies by. I have such great intentions, and then time slips away, and my lists grow longer.
    Nice to know, I'm not alone.....

    K.

    ReplyDelete
  13. there's always new (and sometimes old) diseases we need to control.

    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  14. ...and no dead critters fell out with the book. Hmm. Maybe infested has another meaning. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bit scary opening that book but so interesting the Spanish Flu claimed so many lives then, thank god for modern medicine !

    Di,
    abcwteam

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fascinating papers.

    SamuraiFrog, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
  17. it is so facinating to look at these pages and see script hand writing. does anyone even do that anymore!? 1918, wow, that's a long time ago!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This was so interesting! Gee, I wish I were there for it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The infested thing is still intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Whew! - I bet it was fun looking through those journals. I love the old handwriting, such a lost art.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad you survived the 'infestation'--LOL! My great grandmother died in the Spanish Flu outbreak and I believed one of her daughters died of complications about a year later. Sad times. I am very thankful for the availability of flu vaccinations today.
    Blessings,
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete


Thanks so much for stopping by! I appreciate all of my visitors- please let me know you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...